Updated: May 22, 2021
This Honey Nut Marbled banana bread is a perfectly sweet way to satisfy any craving! One half is your traditional banana nut bread, while the other adds the beautiful richness of chocolate! The whole thing is gluten free, and can easily be made vegan by omitting honey for agave!
Yields ~8 1/2 inch slices
2-3 ripe, browning bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
1/3 cup soy milk
2 tbsps honey (preferably raw honey)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp ground flax seed + 3 tbsp warm water
1/4 cup canola/vegetable oil (coconut works nicely too!)
1 tsp vanilla powder/extract
1 cup + 2 tbsp gluten free all purpose flour
1 handful chopped almonds
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (I love to use Enjoy Life Foods chocolate chips)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 c brown/white sugar (I used half brown, and half white)
a dash of salt
1. Mix the flax egg together & let the ground flax soak in the water for a few minutes
2. In another bowl, combine 1 cup of the GF flour (being sure to save the 2 tbsps for later), the baking soda and powder, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla powder, and salt.
3. Mix the rest of the wet ingredients into the same bowl as the flax egg.
4. Combine the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Using the empty bowl from the dry ingredients, split the batter in half.
7. Add the 2 tbsps flour and the chopped almonds to one half, being sure to save some almonds for sprinkling on top if you desire.
8. Add the 2 tbsp cocoa powder and the chocolate chips to the other half, being sure to save some chocolate chips for sprinkling on top if you desire.
9. Grease a loaf pan and place about 3-4 tbsps of each of the batters in at a time, alternating for the marbled affect. Swirl with a toothpick and sprinkle extra almonds and chocolate chips on top, if desired.
10. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Be sure to prick it a couple of times, because I poked a chocolate chip the first time, which gave me the illusion that is needed more time than it did. Let cool for 50-60 minutes and enjoy!
Please comment below or reach me on Instagram @eats.by.eli if you have questions, if you have made this recipe, and if so, what you thoughts were! Best wishes!