Updated: Mar 30, 2022
It took me many tries to perfect this allergen-free pancake & waffle recipe, but It's finally done and I've felt awful keeping it all to myself! I, personally, don't like banana pancakes which are a common egg replacer in vegan pancakes, so if you're like me, this recipe is especially for you! Here they are, fluffy, Sunday morning pancakes that are totally allergen-free, and super simple to make!
Yields about 6 4-inch pancakes
1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsps warm water)
1 cup soy milk (or other plant milk)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp coconut or canola oil (I don't suggest using olive oil because of the fragrance it will give your pancakes), plus more for frying
1 cup gluten free all purpose flour (I use King Arthor's GF Measure for Measure mix)
1 & 1/2 tsps baking powder
a pinch of salt
2 & 1/2 tbsps sugar
1 tsp vanilla powder/extract
1 tsp matcha powder
2 tbsps cocoa powder
Chocolate chips (non-dairy)
Fruit such as apples or berries
1. Sieve all dry ingredients into a medium-sized bowl and combine.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients.
3. Carefully combine the wet ingredients into the dry using a rubber spatula to fold the batter. A thick batter will be formed, some small flour pockets are okay, you won't want to overwork the batter.
4. Heat enough oil to thinly coat the bottom of a nonstick skillet. Test the temperature of the oil with a drop of batter, it should be hot and the batter should sizzle lightly.
5. Add 1/4 cup batter to the pan and, if needed, gently swirl the skillet to level the pancake and maintain uniformity. The edges of the pancake will start to bubble. The pancake should be ready to flip 30 seconds to 1 minute after this starts. Flip and let cook for 1-2 more minutes. Repeat until all the batter is used.
I love to serve these pancakes with agave, fresh fruit, and even some lemon/lime for squeezing on top! Please comment below or reach me on Instagram @eats.by.eli if you have questions, or if you have made this recipe, and if so, what you thoughts were! Best wishes!