Updated: Feb 2, 2021
If you've gone vegan or aren't a fan of eating bovine gelatin, but miss the pillowy sweet garnishes to your hot cocoa, this recipe is for you! These soft, magical marshmallows are completely vegan and allergen free!
Yields ~40 1"x 1" marshmallows
Medium level difficulty
1/2 cup aquafaba (The liquid from canned of white beans such as chickpeas)
2/3 cup water
1 tbsp agar agar powder
1 & 1/4 c sugar, white
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 tbsp vanilla extract or powder
For Matcha Flavor, add 2 tbsp matcha powder mixed with 1 tbsp water when you're on step 3.
For strawberry flavor, blend dried strawberries into a fine powder and use 2+tbsp(s) mixed into 1 tbsp hot water. Add when you're on step 3.
An electric stand mixer or hand beater
1. Dust an 8"x 8" pan with powdered sugar.
2. In a bowl, combine the aquafaba and cream of tartar and beat on high with an electric beater for 6 minutes.
3. Add vanilla or any other flavors you're using and beat on high for 3 more minutes.
4. In a small saucepan, combine the water and agar agar powder and bring to a boil on medium-low heat, stirring frequently for approximately 3 minutes. It will probably foam (like shown in the photo below), but just ignore that.
5. Add the sugar to the water/agar agar mixture and let boil until all the sugar is dissolved.
6. Once it is finished, add the agar agar syrup (I use the word syrup or lack of a better word. It is a very thin syrup) to the beaten aquafaba. Beat on low for 3o seconds, or until the mixture turns fluffy, white, shiny, and has relatively stiff peaks.
7. Pour the marshmallow fluff into the powdered dish to set. Let sit for 1 hour (at minimum). Preheat the oven to 150 degrees F.
8. Cut into your preferred shape and size and dust with powdered sugar.
9. When the oven is preheated, turn it off and stick the marshmallows in the oven to let dry for 1 hour. This is the last step, so when you've finished, Enjoy!
I like to use these for hot cocoa, mainly, but I've even made some s'more cookies with them before! Please comment below or reach me on Instagram @eats.by.eli if you have questions, if you have made this recipe, and if so, what you thoughts were! Best wishes!